This Wizard will help you to make update of your database with modified products data by selecting appropriate action.
When you import products to X-Cart pay attention to each Wizard's page. X-Cart Import is a rather complicated procedure and it may be destructive if performed incorrectly. Create database backup before importing products especially if you do it first time.
You can use for importing the following file's formats: ods, xls, xlsx, xml, csv, txt (see picture below):
4. Select fields delimiter and quote character page contains some important settings. If you specify wrong values, X-Cart Products Import may not work.
Delimiter character is the delimiter that is used to separate values (columns) in the .csv file. Most popular delimiters are comma (,), semicolon (;) and tab character (<Tab> ) however other symbols can be used as well.
On previous sample page we have noticed that comma
symbol was used as delimiter and values were quoted with " symbol.
Specify two first settings as shown above.
- Upload images from HTTP images - if this option is checked all external images will be downloaded to your FTP and in the database Image field will be filled with pass to the downloaded picture. If this option is left unchecked the Image fields will be updated with HTTP links.
5. The next X-Cart Import Wizard page includes Base Formats and separators. They can be set by default.
6. The next page allows you to Link columns from .csv file to appropriate database fields. The left pane "Database Fields" shows the list of fields in your database that can receive import data.
First row in .csv file contains field names but not values - Obviously it should be checked if first row of .csv file contains data, otherwise uncheck this option.
Identify products by - It is the topmost option as import will search for a product using selected method of identification. The product will be modified if found, if not - new product will be added. Lets say you choose Identify Products By Product ID - how it is performed:
1. X-Cart Import takes first row of the .csv file and retrieves value from a .csv column assigned to Product ID field. As you can see above, the Product ID field is assigned to the 1st column from your file and the value is "1"
2. X-Cart Import tries to find product with ID of 1 in your store:
- If product found it will modify it and set all values from .csv columns of the first line to assigned fields (even if you have let's say some Camera or Keyboard saved under the 1st ID, it will set values from your .csv file). Note that this method cannot be used if IDs in your file are different from the ones in your database.
- if product with ID 1 is not found it will create new product, assign ID automatically (let's say you already have 983 products in your database, so the ID for this product will be 984) and set all values from assigned columns to that new product.
Same is true for SKU number and Name + SKU number only identification methods, except that SKU number and name can be updated in your database from your .csv file.
Note: It is required to assign .csv columns to key fields depending on identification method.
Important Note! Source .csv file can contain multiple records with identical data for identification values (for example same model number for multiple products). All these products (with same ID or SKU) will be considered as one. Currently imported to shopping cart product will overwrite previously imported with the same key field values. Note that sometimes one of key fields may be blank. Obviously blank fields contain the same value for all records, thus only one prouduct will be updated.
Database Fields shows the list of fields in your database that can receive import data. Database Fields contain such columns:
To assign .csv column to database field you should select a field at
the left pane and then click a column at the right pane.
Also you can enable and set the row # you want to start import from.
7. X-Cart Import options page settings may affect X-Cart Import results. Please read and check your selection carefully.
Add and Modify - will add new product if it is not available in database yet and modify those products that were found
Add Only - only add new products
Modify Only - only update existing products and do not add new entries, even if current product was not found
Just Add - this option may produce product duplicates, since Store Manager will not try to find existing products but will only add all products as new
Delete products that are not listed in .csv - this option allows to erase products that are not listed in your .csv file from store.
You can choose the corresponding category from the category tree where the products will be placed after importing:
In order to use the import configuration the next time you can save it to a separate file or directly in the wizard by pressing the appropriate button as you can see below:
Attention! Import process will start, when you press "Import" Button! If all settings are made correct then continue the procedure, otherwise press "Back" Button and check settings once more!
8. In the last window of X-Cart Import Products Wizard will be shown if any errors occurred during X-Cart products import process.
Most frequent import errors are date, time and number conversion
issues, caused by improper format settings (specified at previous page)
or improperly assigned column (i.e. if you assign column containing
category ID to parent_category database field).
If you need assistance with import configuration, we'll gladly help you to setup everything correctly for additional fee. Please contact us at contact[at]xcart-manager[dot]com for details.
Here are some related products on X-Cart Product Import: